Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Chapter 20: White Knuckles

His eyes caught the dog, less than a foot from him, its mouth agape and bloody teeth threatening to puncture into his flesh. His Arclite could not reach the dog in time. Even if it could, lighting the dog on fire at this distance would create a splash-back onto himself. I released my rifle and the sling around my body caught it at my left thigh, hurried for the handgun strapped to my waist holster. As quick as I can be, I was clearly not quick enough. Kheez ducked to his right, using his left arm as his shield. 
Just as the dog was about to claw onto Kheez, I saw it's head exploding from behind. And again. Blood spewed out and the dog dropped lifeless on the ground, it's head resting on Kheez's left foot. I turned around and saw Pyut walking towards me, lowering his handgun. He managed to sink the two bullets into it's mouth. 

"Reload. Now!" He commanded. 

I threw my right knee to the ground, turned my rifle over and ejected three empty magazines. They jumped out and landed onto the tarmac nearby, smoking from heat. Kheez and Pyut overlapped my corner and protected me while I reloaded the three slots on my rifle. Night Cat was already exiting his post inside the building, which usually signals that fatty is nearby.

"Guys, we got a slight problem."
Simultaneously we searched for him over on the far left corner of the street. He was back-pacing towards us with his eyes through the scope, still throwing as much damage as he can possibly deal to his target. A stray dog was racing towards him, but he was clearly unaware as his attention was through the scope. Pyut neutralized it with two bullets, the hollow shells from his handgun barely made din when hitting the ground under the thunderous echo of the Black Arrow.

"There are three of them."

Our eyes grew wide. A sudden panic flooded our heads. For a moment there I could see myself fumble on the cartridges. We looked at each other and even under the warm street halogen I could already see the faces of Kheez and Night Cat pale. I could not imagine mine in any better condition. Handling one fatty itself has already taken so much of our explosives, we couldn't imagine the damage needed to neutralize three of them at the same time. Then we turned to Pyut, he appeared calm and collected.

"As the waves progress, we attract more fatties. The plan is to be able to get all or most of the fatties together in one place so we can run around town without the risk of being cornered." Pyut explained.
"Then you can go save your hostages and retrieve your data." So it was in Pyut's plan all along to complete our mission.


"I'm gonna slowly drop my guns and raise my hands." He carefully squat to his knees and placed his handgun onto the cement floor. Then with both hands he unslung the rifle out and dropped it down. He raised both his hands and placed them just behind his head, slowly he stood up again. There it is, movement in the darkness behind some tables some few meters in front of him. There was shuffling as the figure crawled out from below one of the tables. Just as he thought, one person act as a decoy in one side and the other one wait on the opposite corner to take advantage of the situation. He was already cursing himself for falling into a trap as stupid as this. As the figure drew closer, some light managed to illuminate it very slightly, then it was gone. Crucist could see the figure holding something extended far out, pointing at him. Must be a gun. This is the perfect opportunity.




0 comments: